The Commission on Presidential Debates said on Thursday that the next debate between President Trump and Joseph R. Biden Jr. would be held virtually because of health concerns about the coronavirus.
But President Trump immediately dismissed the idea, declaring that he would not participate and calling the idea of a remote debate “ridiculous.”
The high-stakes standoff between Mr. Trump and the debate organizers emerged on Thursday morning, after the commission, with no warning to campaign representatives, said the Oct. 15 debate would feature candidates debating remotely “in order to protect the health and safety of all involved.”
But Mr. Trump, who tested positive last week for the coronavirus, immediately objected to the concept in a television interview, saying: “I’m not going to waste my time on a virtual debate, that’s not what debating is all about. You sit behind a…